Sewing Mishaps and Discoveries

My sewing experiences as I learn to sew.
0

Vogue 9171

I loved the look of this tunic on the model, not so much on me. However I love the fabric so much, I will still wear this tunic often. The fabric I found at an online store that I had come upon, called Fabric Fashion Club. I saw this cotton/lycra print and immediately ordered 3 1/2 yards. It only cost me $13.83! When I first got the fabric, it felt awful and I didn’t think it would work for this tunic. It was stiff like cheap broadcloth, but then I washed the fabric. It came out soft and with the perfect body for the tunic. It wasn’t even all that wrinkled, which I usually don’t find when washing cotton.

The tunic sewed up easily. However the pattern has you doing a lot of hand sewing. I spent an entire day hand sewing (while watching tv). I don’t think I would make this pattern again, but I do want more of this fabric. Too bad they ran out. They do have it in just black and white, I might just get some.

0

Simplicity 1199

B6136My original plan was to make Butterick 6136, but it turned out I didn’t have enough fabric since I had two 1 yard cuts of the fabric which both shrank to less than 1 yard.

So I changed to using Simplicity 1199 and some fabric I had bought to make the top for McCall’s 7294. I didn’t like the style of that top so I wasn’t going to make it but had already bought the fabric.

Simplicity 1199 pattern was very easy to make, however I made a size XL and wish I made the L. There is too much fabric under the arm. I tried to take it in but it didn’t look any better. I still wear the top, mostly as an exercise outfit with the McCall’s 7294 pants I made (shown in picture).

0

Vogue 8817

This pattern was very easy to sew. It took me no time at all to make it. The curved hem can be difficult but I just used Steam-a-seam 2 1/4″ along the edge and folded up the hem twice. I had no trouble that way. The pattern calls for a 1 1/4″ hem but I can see that would cause issues on the curved parts.

I found the sleeves rather snug at the top and I probably will rip the lace section with my elbow. If I do I plan on hemming the sleeves up to short sleeves with just the black part.

The top is more loose fitting than the close fitting they say it is. I usually need a bigger size for my waist and hips but I had to make no changes. It is also longer than it appears on the model. For me the loose fitting and longer length is fine, I prefer it that way.

The fabric is: Purple Rayon Spandex Jersey, Black Rayon Spandex Jersey and Black & White Printed Floral Polyester Lycra Lace. I purchased all of them from Fabric.com.

 

0

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

PatternReview.com Wardrobe Contest

I am entering the PatternReview.com Wardrobe Contest which starts on February 1st and goes to March 31st. I have to make 10 items that all coordinate. 2 items have to be tops, 2 items have to be bottoms, 1 item has to be a topper and the last 5 items are my choice. I have decided to make 3 tops, 3 pants, 2 dresses, a vest and a topper. It took me awhile to pick out the patterns and the fabric, but now I have them all. I have pre-treated the fabric and cut out the patterns and am ready to start cutting fabric on Monday. Here are my choices:

Here is a quick board I made using the pattern sketches and overlaying the fabric.

Wardrobe

 

1

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Gift for my New Niece

My sister was expecting a baby, so I made her a bunch of items. She was born a little early but I got all the items to my sister in time. Check out what I made (I blurred the baby’s name for privacy).

Patterns used: Butterick 5798 (Diaper bag, changing pad, sling), McCall’s 6485 (Cat), Lovey Dovey Kitty, Nursing Pillow Cover, Snuggler.

Bibs, Ribbon Blanket, and Co-sleeper Sheets are self drafted.

Embroidery designs used: Inky Butterfly Delight, Kitten 56, Swirl Hearts Applique, Sweet DreamsSpumante Embroidery Font, Big Sis Kitten Applique, Lil Sis Kitten Applique (modified), Delicate Flower Embroidery Font, Miss Kindergarten Embroidery Font, Lil Sis Birdy Applique, True Colors Embroidery FontDotted Princess Carriage AppliqueMandevilla Embroidery Font, Baby Girl Turkey Applique, Santa Patch Applique.

The big sister of my new niece has her birthday soon so I also made her a gift. My daughter wanted one too so I made them both a pegasus. The pattern is Simplicity 1295. There names are embroidered on the hoof (hidden in all photos). I embroidered the face using just the eyes of Noggin Nanimals – Unicorn Face (Applique). The nostrils are made using just the eyes of The Giving Bunny.

 

Strapworks.com
0

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Agent P Costume Finished

I finished the Agent P costume. I used McCall’s 4945. I made changes to the hood to add a beak. I also added a beaver tail which I self drafted. I made a cross back seam to sew the tail into. I also made duck feet shoe covers using the pattern shoe covers as a base. I used McCall’s 6975 to make the hat. The hat is tacked down so it won’t fall off.

Strapworks.com
Learn to Knook
0

Agent P Costume

My son wants to be Agent P (aka Perry the Platypus) for Halloween. If you don’t know who Agent P is, he is a secret agent (Agent P) and a pet (Perry the Platypus) on the Disney show Phineas and Ferb.

Perry_The_Platypus_11

I looked online for ideas and decided to make a jumpsuit with a hood. I would add a bill, tail and duck feet shoe covers. I bought Scuba Blue Blizzard Fleece and Gold Felt from Joann’s.

I have the tail cut out and am still working on getting the bill right. I cut out shoe covers but they looked wrong so I have to try again.

Knook Expanded Set Banner
Powered by WP Tutor.io